Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Warning: skittles may be hazardous to your health

I'm decompressing from the Zimmerman verdict, even though I wasn't really shocked by it.
I know that the whole "stand your ground" bullshit wasn't invoked, but it still influences Florida cases of self defense and how we view self defense in courts, in Florida and in other states with similar laws. What I want to know is, why does it matter who was the voice that was screaming for help? Why didn't Trayvon Martin, being stalked in the dark by a guy in a car armed with a gun, have the right to defend himself? The juror who has been so chatty about the decision has stated that one of the reasons for the verdict was the conviction that that voice was Zimmerman's.  Disregarding how she could be so certain of that, why does it make a difference? If some guy is stalking me down a dark street and I break his nose, is that punishable by death? Why didn't Trayvon have the right to self defense? We all know the answer. I hope the DOJ does its job.

No comments:

Post a Comment