Thursday, December 11, 2008

proof that I am evil


So I had a five minute conversation with Little Bit's teacher and the program coordinator at her school. And in that short amount of time I managed to ruin everyone's day and cause her teacher to well up with tears. It's a magic trick I perform. The thing is, my inner editor is on time delay. You know how people say "I wish I'd thought to say that at the time..."? They don't mean it. They don't know what they're asking for.

So this program coordinator says about Little Bit, who by the way has autism, "She tantrums and has behavior problems and we think it's about food because she demands orange juice and popcorn and screams and cries and then when we give it to her she stops."

And before my editor kicks in and before I can find an ax to chop my own head off, my mouth goes ahead and says "So she's training you then?"

And the only good thing that happened was that the program coordinator person finally thankfully stopped talking and turned all red. But her teacher, who I really like, looked stricken and sad and watery and then we left, because after all, my job there was done.

Later I poked kittens with sticks and teased homeless people by holding food just out of reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment